Remember way back to earlier this year when I posted progress on one of the illustrations for my poetry collection? Well, to refresh your memory, you can go here and here.
And here it is, finally completed!
Sword and Serpent
I have renamed it Sword and Serpent. To complete the illustration, I used gray markers to deepen some of the shading, thickened my outlines in a few spots, and went through with white ink and paintbrush to pop highlight areas.
My proof came in! I was so excited to see The Little Book of Insurrection… as a hard copy. But I had so many typos on it, including a huge one on the front cover! That’s why we get proofs, I guess.
I was more concerned with making sure all the pages were numbered correctly, the illustrations were lined up and set where I wanted them to be, and the table of contents matched the rest of the book that I forgot to double check the verbiage of the poems themselves, even though I retyped them rather than copy and pasted them. So there are several words where I dropped a letter or two from the end. I also questioned a couple of word choices and may switch to a different word, but I need to decide definitively what image I’m trying to create. And finally, I’m tweaking some of the punctuation that I’ve included in the poems. So much of reading a poem is actually taking it in visually too, so I’m actually considering how it looks on the page as part of the formatting and editing.
I’ve made all my edits (after going through several times) in the proof itself, and now I’m letting them simmer for a couple of days. Tomorrow I’ll go through and correct the digital files and move forward from there. Exciting times!
Here is my amazing cover for the print release of “The Little Book of Insurrection or The Poetry of My Discontent”! I am SO pleased with how my designer took my vision.
The skull and flaming buildings is my art, and my designer did the flag background, lettering, and the smoking and glowing hole that my art is coming through. The digital cover will basically just be the right side of this cover.
And the proof is on the way! I had a major crisis the weekend I was preparing this for print. Not only was I afraid because poetry is so vulnerable, but I was also afraid of the potential power of my words. But I worked through the fear, and I’m going ahead with this project full force.
My plan is to release the ebook version for free and sell the print version for around $5 or $6, depending on how Amazon royalties work out and how the book feels in proof form. I still plan to offer prints and signed copies of the work through Etsy and maybe higher quality prints through a POD art site, but I’ll cross that bridge next week.
Here is my other Edwardian lady! I really love how her face turned out.
I absolutely love the pose of this figure! I found it online. To have a woman seated backwards on a chair, holding a horse whip – it’s a little naughty but she’s also so pensive and dreamy in it.
Phew! And only a year and 1/2 past the time I wanted them to be done, I am finally finished with the illustrations for my poetry collection. Tonight, I will be scanning them all, and then I get to wrestle with formatting images, deciding on the order of the poems, formatting in CreateSpace, formatting for digital release, and THEN I get to set up my DeviantArt and Etsy shop, plus a new gallery and poetry section for this site. I’ve got my work cut out for me over the next couple of weeks, but I am so, so, so happy to have finished.
I’ve been working on drawing draped and costumed figures based off of photographs. I’m really pleased with my shading work!